Video #2 -- “Jamaica, Land of Wood and Water”
Answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper. Don’t forget to
provide a critique at the end, which explains and supports your assessment of
Answer the following questions:
- What does the word “Jamaica” mean?
- Name 3 famous individuals who are associated with Jamaica.
- What are the geographic dimensions of Jamaica? How far is Jamaica from
Cuba? Jamaica is about the size of which U.S. state?
- How many rivers and streams are in Jamaica?
- Who were the original native inhabitants of Jamaica?
- The air in Jamaica is referred to by what nickname?
- About how many people live in Jamaica?
- What is the motor or slogan used to describe Jamaica and its people?
- Where is the location where Columbus first landed in Jamaica?
- What city was the Jamaican capital for 300 years?
- Who was the British war hero who saved Jamaica from possible French
occupation in 1782?
- In what year did slavery end in Jamaica?
- What is the name of the only university in Jamaica and how did it get that
- Name 2 famous male pirates and 2 famous female pirates in Jamaican
- A 1693 earthquake was responsible for sinking part of what city.
- Which European country imported the first African slaves to Jamaica?
- How many national heroes does Jamaica have?
- Besides agricultural products, what mineral does Jamaica report and what
is that mineral used for?
- What is the name of the world famous brand of coffee liqueur?
- Years ago, which Jamaican town was known as the “banana capital of the
- The origins of what type of business enterprise and which corporation was
responsible for beginning tourism in Jamaica and probably the entire
- The famous Dunn’s River Falls are located in what town?
- In what place do you find the largest equestrian site in the West Indies?
- Who was known as the “white witch”? What was her name, what was she
accused of doing and what was the name of her residence?