YUCATAN "Voices In The Stone"
Watch only the Mayan portion of this video.
Answer the following questions on a separate sheet of paper. Don't forget to
provide a critique at the end which explains and supports your assessment of the
- Where is Copan located (in which country)?
- How many kings ruled Copan in the four hundred years discussed in the
- When the losers of a ball game were killed or executed, why was this done?
- Why did the Maya worship and respect their ancestors?
- In the Mayan language the sentence structure began with a date. What part
of speech came next?
- How many steps were in the famous hieroglyphic stairs? Why was this an
- What peculiar building technique or process was employed when the Maya
decided to continue with more buildings in the same area?
- Why did the Mayans believe that buildings should not be destroyed?
- How many stairs were there in the "false ball court" where
captives were sacrificed?